group programs
booking forms

Participants Information

Q. Are the internships paid?
A. No. The internships are un-paid work experiences. In some cases companies may offer to pay your travel within your host city or lunch expenses during your internship

Q.Are the application and placement Fee separate?
A. Yes, you must send an application fee when you submit your application to the program. Once you are accepted to the program you will receive acceptance documents along with an invoice for payment for the placement fee.

Q. Can I find out my internship placement before I make the placement payment?
A. Full placement payment must be made before confirmations of placements are made. If an intern makes full payment and is not satisfied with their internship placement (ie. The program does not offer at least 1 suitable position in the requested field) a refund will be granted.

However, if a suitable position has been offered to the intern in the requested field the refund cancellation fee schedule will come into effect and you will be charged a cancellation fee based on the time you cancelled your placement on the program

Q. Will I know my placement before starting the program?
A. Yes, all interns will be notified of their internship placement prior to the start of the internship period.

Q. Is Housing included in the program fee?
A. No, the cost of housing is not included in the placement fee. Global-Eyes interns can opt to find their own housing or live in Global-Eyes housing. Cost of accommodation is the sole responsibility of the intern. If you decide to live in Global-Eyes housing we will invoice you for payment upon acceptance to the program.

Q. Can I participate if I am not yet a Sophomore in College?
A. Yes, however these applications will be looked over a bit more closely and you may be required to submit further letters of reference and take part in an interview before acceptance can be made.

Q. Can I participate if I am no longer a student?
A. Yes, we encourage anyone interested in obtaining a new experience in life to participate on the program. Whether you have finished your academics or have just taken a break we are happy to have you on the program. Ages on the program range from 19-27 generally. If you are older than 27 please contact us and we will discuss your opportunities.

Q. I'm afraid my GPA may not be good enough, can I still participate?
A. At Global-Eyes we don't just focus on academic grade work. We focus on the overall picture of you as an individual and what you have to offer the program and what you can gain out of it. When assessing your application we will look at courses taken, hobbies and interests, travel experience, your resume, your statement and what your references have to say about you before your GPA. We ask that interns have relevant knowledge of their chosen internship field however.

Q. What kind of financial assistance can I get?
A.Global-Eyes has programs to fit a variety of budgets. For many students, studying abroad is only possible with financial assistance. There are thousands of study/travel abroad scholarships, grants, loans available out there. The best idea is to do a search on the web to find the ones that suit your personal situations.

Q.What's included in the program fee?
A. The good news is that Global-Eyes has not seen the price of study abroad programs increase the way tuition has at most U.S. schools. Our fees generally include tuition, orientation, cultural activities, local excursions and field trips, as well as medical and emergency insurance and services. See the program information section on fees for detailed information on what is included.

Q. Will I get credit for my internship?
A. Your school ultimately has the last word when it comes to the course credit that it will accept. To avoid any unpleasant surprises at the end of your overseas program, simply bring the program description and to your academic advisor for review before enrolling. Global-Eyes will provide any necessary documentation for your school.

Q. Will my internship delay my graduation?
A. Not unless you're careless. Plan ahead and schedule courses—either in your major, your minor, or as electives—that are acceptable by your academic advisor as valid pre-requisites for graduation. Some students will opt to take a semester off to complete an internship. In all cases be sure of the requirements by your school before you accept and pay for a program.

Q. Will an internship help my chances of finding a job?
A. Nothing jumps off a résumé quite like time spent overseas. As the economy of the United States becomes increasingly enmeshed with the economies of other nations, employers are becoming desperate for employees with international perspectives. So as you're benefiting from cultural immersion at a prestigious foreign university, you're automatically increasing your employment desirability far beyond that of your peers back home.

Q. What should I do to study abroad?
1. Do your homework: Read this entire FAQ. Use this site to narrow your list of desired programs. Collect course descriptions, recommended credits, and any other information your advisor or family needs. Be able to articulate where you want to go, what you want to study and why.

2. Talk to the right people:Your Study Abroad Advisor - These dedicated individuals exist to prepare you for your study abroad experience. Take advantage of their invaluable services, but be sure you've done your homework first; like most of us, study abroad advisors often have heavy workloads and compressed schedules.

Your Academic Advisor - This person can ensure that you receive the proper amount and type of course credit upon returning to your home college or university. Your academic advisor can also advise you as to exactly how this credit will fit into the big picture of your degree.

Your Financial Aid Advisor - You may need to do some financial paperwork to ensure your student loans are properly redirected to or ensure proper course credit. Make sure you take care of this as early as possible to avoid any unpleasant surprises, especially since many scholarships have early deadlines.

Your Family - People in your family will certainly want to know your study abroad plans and some may have valuable advice about traveling overseas. Make sure to keep them informed as your plans develop. Also, suggest that they take a look at the section specifically for parents on this web site for additional information that they may be looking for. If they still have questions, suggest that they give us a call, we're more than happy to talk to them. Lastly, your family is your link to home. So at the very least, make copies of your passport, visa, itinerary, and all contact information for your folks in the U.S. before you leave.

3. Take care of business:We can help you procure accommodations, a student ID (for travel discounts and cheap entry into museums and such) and your insurance. But make sure you've arranged for your travel, funding sources, passport, visa (if required), and all your shots. Your study abroad advisor will guide you through all of these steps.

Q. How do I get a passport?
A. If you're planning to leave the U.S. , you need a passport. The easiest way to get one is to complete an application form available at many federal, state and probate courts, many post offices, some libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. More information on getting a U.S. passport is available at: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/get_840.html .

For all passport services, see the U.S. State Department's Web site: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ .

The application for a DSP-11 passport (the one you need if you've never had a passport before) can be downloaded from: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html . For all applications and forms, see: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html

Q. Will I need an entry visa?
A. That depends on where you're planning to go. Included with your acceptance letter, we send you a lot of information concerning visa application procedures. If you're curious before then, the easiest way to find out entry visa requirements is by checking the Web site of the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html .

Don't worry about visa requirements until you have been accepted to a program—just make sure that you have a passport so that you can quickly apply for a visa once you have been accepted. Applying for a visa can be a lengthy process. Allow enough time for processing your visa application, especially if you are applying by mail. Most foreign consular representatives are located in big cities, and in many instances, travelers may be required to obtain visas from the consular office in their area of residence. Processing and visa fees vary, and most fees may not be refundable, consult the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit for specific details.

Q. Where can I find free tips for travelers?
A. The U.S. State Department offers a multitude of free tips for travelers and travel publications on their Web site: http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

Q. What kind of general support will I have while I'm abroad?
A. We have on-site resident staff who are there to oversee the academic and cultural program, conduct thorough orientation sessions, act as liaison with the host institution, and provide counseling to program participants.

Q. How can I get an International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or an International Teacher Identity Card (ITIC)?
A. Council Travel, who used to issue International Student Identity Cards (ISIC), International Teacher Identity Cards (ITIC), and arrange inexpensive student airfare, went out of business in winter 2002.